When I sent in my old high school marching band VHS tapes to YesVideo I was excited to see old marching band shows. Never did I imagine just how many people these three video tapes would affect. When I first mailed the video tapes away, I posted a picture of the tapes on Facebook with a status about having then converted to digital. Within minutes, old friends from high school responded with excitement and memories. Before I knew it, I was relieving those years of high school. The memories of struggles and the victories, the friendships and the rivals came flooding back.
During the marching band season, you typically see the members of the band more than you see your family. Weekends are spent on long bus rides and week nights are spent on the practice field. Since my high school marching band was over 100 people strong, I did was not close friends with everyone. However, I was very close to all of the members in colorguard. We typically stuck together during practice and roomed together on trips. The bond we shared was much like a sisterhood. I am so thankful that through this experience with YesVideo, I have been able to reconnect with some of my closest high school friends.
I asked my band family on Facebook what they learned, during their years in marching band. Here are some of my favorite responses.
While In Marching Band I Learned…
1. That I can stand still for an amazingly long time with the right amount of concentration.
2. Never settle for mediocrity.
3. That the band kids were the wildest ones.
4. That bus trips are a lot of fun and hand checks must be done.
5. To bring a great mixed tape.
6. That everyone looks awful in a marching band uniform, no matter how much make up you are wearing.
7. That learning how to memorize music and how many steps to march in a certain direction is not easy.
8. That it is okay not to care about the football game, when you can gossip with some of your best friends about what you will wear to the mall tomorrow.
9. That these are some of the best memories ever.
10. Marching band friends are friends through life, no matter how far in distance or time.
Band geeks for life!
Where you in marching band in high school or college?
Mindi is a working mom with three boys ages 4, 2, and an infant (born June 2013). She blogs about life as a working mom at Simply Stavish. Her weekly feature Words in the Sand, teaches parents how to grow their child’s speech, language and feeding development through everyday moments. Mindi also enjoys knitting and photography.